Netflix held an event in Singapore this week, opening up the door for a few fresh announcements. A handful of them are anime-related, including three projects from anime studios, one from Jakarta and Singapore’s BASE Entertainment, and an animated series based on Pacific Rim.
Among the anime titles are an Altered Carbon anime feature with Dai Sato (Cowboy Bebop) and Tsukasa Kondo writing at anime studio Anima. Gonzo has a show called Cagaster of an Insect Cage in the works, with Last Exile‘s Koichi Chigira directing. And then there’s Yasuke, featuring production by MAPPA (Yuri!!! on ICE) and the vision of creator, director, and executive producer LeSean Thomas (Cannon Busters, The Boondocks).
Here are a couple stills of Cagaster of an Insect Cage:
And here are all the details from Netflix:
- Returning to the epic battle of Kaiju and Jeagers, this original anime series will expand upon the story of the first two live action movies and follow two siblings – an idealistic teenage boy and his naïve younger sister – who are forced to pilot an abandoned Jaeger across a hostile landscape in a desperate attempt to find their missing parents.
- Co-showrunners: Craig Kyle (Thor: Ragnarok) and Greg Johnson (X-Men: Evolution).
- Production Company: Legendary Entertainment (Kong: Skull Island; Pokemon: Detective Pikachu)
- This anime feature, set in the same universe of the Netflix live-action sci-fi series (second season in production from Skydance Television), will explore new elements of the story mythology.
- Writer: Dai Sato (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) and Tsukasa Kondo
- Animation Studio: Anima
Cagaster of an Insect Cage
- Set in a post-apocalyptic world where a mysterious disease “Cagaster” turns people into giant murderous insects, this manga-based series follows the struggle of a young couple to stay alive.
- Director: Koichi Chigira (Last Exile, Full Metal Panic!)
- Animation Studio: Gonzo (Hellsing, Afro Samurai)
- In a war-torn feudal Japan of mechs and magic, a retired ronin must take up his sword when he is charged with the task of transporting a mysterious child who dark forces want to eliminate.
- Creator / Director / Executive Producer: LeSean Thomas (The Boondocks, Cannon Busters)
- Grammy nominee Flying Lotus will compose the music and be an Executive Producer on the show.
- Lakeith Stanfield (Atlanta, Sorry to Bother You) will be the voice of the protagonist “Yasuke” (based on the historical samurai of African origin who fought with Oda Nobunaga).
- Animation Studio: MAPPA (Yuri On Ice, Kakegurui).
- Set in a Manila where the mythical creatures of Philippine folklore live in hiding amongst humans, Alexandra Trese finds herself going head to head with a criminal underworld comprised of malevolent supernatural beings. This anime series is based on the Philippine graphic novel by the same name, created by Budjette Tan and Kajo Baldissimo.
- Executive Producer: Jay Oliva (Wonder Woman, The Legend of Korra).
- Produced By: Shanty Harmayn and Tanya Yuson at BASE Entertainment, a studio based in Jakarta and Singapore.