June 21, 2019 marked the premiere of Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki’s Spirited Away anime film in China, which waited 18 years for it to hit theaters. The movie was released in 9,000 theaters across the country, and it went on to earn 488 million yuan (about US$70 million), making it 2019’s highest-grossing Japanese film in China.
Makoto Shinkai’s Weathering With You followed in second place with 288 million yuan ($41 million). That adds up to less than half of what Shinkai’s Your Name. made in China when it had its theatrical run in the region.
Here’s the full breakdown of the Top 10 Japanese films in China in 2019. It’s worth noting that there’s only one live-action film, The Crimes That Bind, in the entire list.
1. Spirited Away (488 million yuan / $70 million)
2. Weathering With You (288 million yuan / $41 million)
3. Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire (231 million yuan / $33 million)
4. ONE PIECE STAMPEDE (204 million yuan / $29 million)
5. Doraemon: Nobita’s Chronicle of the Moon Exploration (131 million yuan / $18.75 million)
6. Natsume’s Book of Friends the Movie: Tied to the Temporal World (115 million yuan / $16.5 million)
7. The Crimes That Bind (67 million yuan / $9.6 million)
8. My Hero Academia The Movie: Two Heroes (39 million yuan / $5.6 million)
9. Fate/stay night [Heaven’s Feel] I. presage flower (32 million yuan / $4.6 million)
10. Dragon Ball Super: Broly (31 million Yuan / $4.44 million)